Popular Posts

Friday, March 22, 2013

When Dumb Songs Win

We try to tune it out: the traffic, the constant barrage of people's opinions, environmental meltdown, the economy, and most difficult of all, the current commercial radio play list. Many of us find ourselves in conditions where we have no choice but listen to the top 40 "hits", and holy Christ, just when we think it can't get any worse, it gets worse.  
        Unfortunately, after hearing a song 345,666 times, and no matter how much this song may insult our intelligence and sense of decency, no matter how much our conscious mind hates if, we’ll still catch ourselves humming it while we wash the dishes at night. That's when we realize we're part of the problem.
        So we except that we're a brainwashed slobs like everyone else while also coming to terms with the fact that some of these current hits might appeal to us. I'll offer myself and the song "All Gold Everything" by Trinidad James as an example.
        I don't know anything about James, I haven't heard his other songs or followed his career, but "All Gold Everything" is a pretty dumb song. The lyrics mean nothing, just gibberish where he name drops both strip clubs and colleges (gotta love the irony of our age). It breaks no new ground, with lyrics so dumb they almost take pride in being "anti-clever". In fact, the delivery itself is so weak that the phrasing becomes hesitant and off beat, making the listener wonder if Trinidad James even possesses the most basic of rap skills. In the end it doesn't even matter, I still like it.
       Mostly it's the beat I like, one of those simple loops with just enough menace to it to where anybody can bob their head and feel cool. My fondness for the song also stems from a misunderstanding when I first heard it. After James says: "Gold all in my chain / Gold all in my ring / Gold all in my watch" he says: "Don’t believe jus’ watch". I thought when I first heard it the line was "Don't believe in your watch". I thought: ‘huh, don't believe in your watch? That's weird. I guess he's saying he's so dismissive of his rival's belongings that he doesn't even believe in them. That's quirky and kind of original. It's still pretty dumb but it shows a funny kind of twist on bragging.'
        Of course I was wrong, which was pointed out to me by a friend's eight year old daughter. Not that I minded much because I still like the song. Just to be clear: this happens rarely. I really don't care for any of Clear Channel's playlist these days. Drake's radio hits make me sleepy and "I'm Different" just sucks no matter how many times you hear it (I don't want to be harsh, I think 2 Chainz may have a severe mental disability, God bless him). But when "All Gold Everything" comes on I can't help but grin and nod my head a bit. Sometimes a dumb songs wins.

 03-22-13

No comments:

Post a Comment