Popular Posts

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mulholland Drive: Furlough Film # 5








(Every furlough day Dublin and Robert Fong get together to view a film and have a discussion about it. This time Bob Fong's neighbor Paul joined them as well. The following is a transcript of that discussion.)

D: David Lynch? Oh God.
R: You said I could pick after you picked that shitty Cohen brother's movie last time.
D: Yeah, but-
R: You don't like Lynch?
D: I don't know. I still haven't figured out if he's an idiot or a genius.
P: Is an imbecile worse than an idiot?
D: What?
R: I've always wondered: technically doesn't it go moron to idiot to imbecile?
D: I really don't know.
P: Maybe it goes the other way.
R: Let's just watch the movie.

(They watch the movie)

D: Huh.
R: Man, talk about good, bad, bad, bad, good, bad, good, bad, bad.
D: What's that mean?
P: It was trippy.
D: Sure was. Didn't make all that much sense either. Or did it?
R: None what so ever.
D: Maybe it wasn't supposed to.
P: It made sense.
R: How? What the f**k are you talking about Paul? You got a couple'a chicks lezing it up in a LA apartment. You got a couple of weirdo's in a Denny's talking about dreams. You got a director making a movie and being pressured in his casting by some sort of mafia. You got a dumb f**king hit man that can't seem to do anything right. Then you got everybody flipping around and changing identities. I mean what the f**k?
D: You did have stuff that kind of just went no where.
R: No where!
P: You guys didn't get it?
R: No!
D: Not really.
P: It was all a dream. The first part is Naomi Watts' dream of what she wished her life was like. Then she wakes up and it's her reality and she can't take it and kills herself.
R: Why would Naomi Watts dream about some half wit director and the mafia for? Why?
P: Don't people in your real life pop up in your dreams in some odd way? It happens to me.
D: Yeah, that happens to me sometimes.
R: Okay, both of you seemed to like this movie.
D: I respect it.
R: I respect it too! Especially when the two women take off their clothes and start doing each other.
P: That was a good love scene.
R: Love scene? F**king sex scene man. Come on.
D: I like the non-sequiturs.
P: I don't know what that means.
D: Just stuff that went no where. It made you feel like you were in a dream kind of.
R: Hmm. When the women started doing each other I felt like I was in a dream. Other than that-
P: I think if Dublin felt like it was a dream then the movie is a success. I think that's what David Lynch was going for.
D: Well said Paul. Have you seen anything else he's made?
P: Dune. It sucked.
D: Yeah, it did.
R: Blue Velvet f**king ruled.
D: It was similar to this one. It had the whole dreamy feel.
P: I really like that scene in this one with the coffee. You know? The part where the mafia guys are pressuring the director to use that girl and that one dude spits all his coffee into his napkin?
R: I like the hit man scene. That was f**king hilarious.
D: That was good. I really liked the scene where Naomi Watts tries out for the movie. All this weird stuff is going on and then she goes in and does this acting that is actually quite good for a script that is super cheesy and dumb. I actually loved that scene. Naomi Watts was wonderful. I think this movie blew her up.
R: Laura Harring is hot.
D: I wonder what happened to her.
P: I got to ask you guys something.
BOTH: Yeah.
P: Why do you always watch super old movies? I read the blog and all the Furlough Films are super old. This movie is like 10 years old. Shouldn't you be discussing new movies?
R: Like what?
P: Maybe Moneyball or something?
R: F**k that.
D: It's a good suggestion. Thanks for joining us Paul.

Taken from a transcription by Peggy Menchstone on 10/05/11

No comments:

Post a Comment