Popular Posts

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Furlough Film #2: The Killer Inside Me


(Every furlough day Dublin and Robert Fong get together to view a film and have a discussion about it. The following is a transcript of that discussion. SPOILERS abound.)


D: The Killer Inside Me? That’s great. I read the book.
R: Good for you.
D: It’s by Jim Thompson. He wrote the books The Grifters and The Getaway too. Have you read any of his stuff?
R: You know I don’t like that s__t.
D: What? Crime novels?
R: Books. Magazines. That kind of s__t.

(They watch the film)

D: Huh, kind of a strange ending. I don’t remember the book ending like that.
R: That was some ill s__t. I was f__king tense the whole time.
D: That’s how I remember the book being. Very tense. It’s like a Crime and Punishment from the 1950’s.
R: When did the book come out?
D: In the 50’s. Like I said.
R: That s__t came out in the 50’s? Damn. It was kind of gnarly when he beat up Jessica Alba.
D: Man, she sucks by the way. Don’t you think?
R: She’s f__king hot.
D: Sure. But I’m talking about the acting. She really isn’t good.
R: She’s just as good as the main dude. You know, Ben Affleck’s little brother.
D: Casey Affleck. No, I think he was much better than her. He’s a good actor.
R: Dude, his voice. It always sounds like he’s going through puberty. It’s cracking and high all the time.
D: That can be annoying. But he’s good, he makes it work. To be honest, when I saw he was playing the Killer I was kind of surprised. I didn’t see it. At least I didn’t picture the character that way when I read the book.
R: How did you picture him?
(Dublin thinks)
D: Rick Perry. That’s how I pictured him. Just like Rick Perry.

R:What’s up with Kate Hudson? Is she getting fat or what?
D: I’m not sure if she’s gained weight but she seemed kind of stiff and not very good.
R: I agree with you there.
D: The whole movie she seemed preoccupied or something.
R: Maybe she was tripping about how much weight she’s gained.
D: The rest of the cast was really good. All the supporting cast. I like that guy Simon Baker.
R: Yeah, he was in a Zombie movie I think.

R:
You know this movie was pretty controversial when it came out?
D: Because of the violence?
R: Yeah, especially towards women.
D: That’s true. There are two long scenes of him beating women aren’t there? Pretty horrible.
R: They premiered it at Sundance and somebody told the director—Hold up I got the quote right here. They turned around and said to the director: "I don't understand how Sundance could book this movie! How dare you? How dare Sundance?”
D: Wow. I can see people tripping out about those scenes.
R: And what was up with it? When he capped dudes it was no big deal. They barely showed it. And then when he kills a woman it’s with his bare hands and goes on and on.
D: You know, that’s kind of why I was impressed with the movie.
R: You’re a sick f__k.
D: Seriously. The book disturbs the hell out of you not just because of the violence he inflicts on these two women but because of the trust. You know what I mean?
R: Naw.
D: These women trust Ford. They think he loves them. In a sick way he does love the Jessica Alba character. But then he’s suddenly killing them and they’re finding out what he really is ands that’s what’s f__ked up. He’s a psychopath.
R: That’s true. When was the book written?
D: 1952.
R: 60 years old and the s__t is still disturbing. Jim Thompson is off the hook.

September 7th 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment