Popular Posts

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Best Rapper Ever


The Best Rapper Ever: Another Discussion between Dublin & DJ Undacut

U: Why you calling this "Another Discussion"?
D: We're having a discussion.
U: We never had one though.
D: We're having one now. Who's the best rapper ever?
U: Probably Lil Weezy.
D: Really?
U: He's the hottest right now.
D: That's not what I asked.
U: Okay, so the best. In all time?
D: Yes.
U: Probably Nas.
D: Hmmm. He's great. The best though?
U: Who do you think?
D: Well, I'm thinking Ice Cube maybe.
U: You're just being sentimental because you grew up bumping that shit. Cube fell off man. His got super wack in his later career.
D: I hope you're not saying that because of the movies. "Are We Home Yet?" Whatever it's called.
U: I'm not an idiot. I'm talking about the music man. If we were counting the movies then you would be a straight sucker for even saying his name.
D: Nas is inconsistent too. He did pretty bad stuff there for a minute. He was Nas The Ultimate Consumer Rapper for a couple albums.
U: Plus Cube is a biter. You know that right? (Dublin shakes his head) He stole that hook from Cypress Hill, that's common knowledge.
D: What hook?
U: I forget. But people also say he went down to the Good Life and stole styles from them too.
D: What are you talking about?
U: I'm talking about Da Lynch Mob. Remember the album "Gorillas in the Mist"?
D: Sure. I remember that whole "boom, ping, ping" song.
U: Exactly. Who does that whole "boom, ping, ping" thing sound like?
D: Who does it sound like?
U: Who from that whole Good Life, LA Underground scene does that sound like? (Dublin shrugs his shoulders) Volume 10! That Lynch Mob shit sounds just like Volume 10!
D: And you're saying that's because Ice Cube went down to the Good Life and stole Volume 10's rap style?
U: Hell yeah. I can prove it. Did you ever have Hip-Hopera(a great album Volume 10 put out)?
D: It had Pistol Grip Pump right?
U: Yeah. Remember the line Volume 10 does? "I hang with my dogs, f__k a gorilla." That line is about Ice Cube and Da Lynch Mob.
D: Oh come on.
U: I'm dead serious. This shit is real man. I'm not an idiot.
D: Regardless, you bring up The Good Life and I have to say that I'm changing my vote for the Best Rapper Ever to Myka 9.
U: He's too crazy for me. I mean, his delivery it just super nuts.
D: It's not just his delivery that makes him the best. He's a great writer too. I was listening to his album It's All Love/American Nightmare a week or something ago and that is a great record. It's all stream of consciousness underworld shit. It reminds me of reading a James Ellroy book or something.
U:I've gotten nerdy with some of this stuff but you just went beyond nerd into ultra geek super mode. F'real.
D: Well, I'm sticking with Myka 9. He's the best.
U: You know, this whole thing is stupid. You can't say who's the best. I said Nas today but tomorrow I might say Pharaoh Monch.
D: He's great too.
U: See! You can't just say who's the best. The next day I might say Treach. You say Myka 9, what about Acey Alone?
D: Right.
U: I might even say Dublin one day.
D: Sure. Thanks.
U: Then I'll bump the Black Album and I'll say Jay-Z
D: You don't need to. Doesn't Jay-Z say he's the best in every single song anyway?
U: I guess he thinks if he says it enough people will start to agree with him.
D: He is good.
U: But not the best. Me and you can at least agree on that right?
D: Sure.

Taken from a transcription by Peggy Menchstone on 09/4/11

No comments:

Post a Comment