Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gravity, a Review


Great films stand out in our minds not as nights at the movies but as experiences, ones that transport us into the lives of others and worlds that exist only on screen. Seven years ago I was lucky enough to wander into a theater and experience the Alfonso Cuaron film “Children of Men”. It is by far one of the greatest times I have ever had at the movies and I find myself bringing it up in any conversation with people I am meeting for the first time. Have you seen “Children of Men”? Did you like it? These two questions will reveal to me what sort of human being I'm dealing with and where we stand on the spectrum of friendship and common interest.
Ever since 2006 I have waited with bated breath for Cuaron's follow up and here it is, "Gravity" in all it's awe inspiring glory. After viewing it I couldn't help but feel like one of those nerds that had a band they love who has been underground for years before suddenly having a hit and becoming everyone's favorite band. The whole world is going to love this movie, how can they not? Curon harnesses the most cutting edge technology film has to offer to send us on a journey that thrills, terrifies, inspires, and enthralls.
Everything is used for a purpose. The 3D is there to fully immerse you in the void of space so when our characters are flying uncontrollably through the dark nothingness to certain death we can't help and reach ourselves, grasping for hope, a last chance for life.
The story is so simple- survival. Never has space been so real and so completely terrifying. At times during this movie it feels as if the universe was set up for one purpose- to kill these frail little humans that dare challenge nature. Space it is the monster that terrorizes our lead characters.
Dr Ryan Stone and Matt Kowalski, portrayed by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, have their personalities defined in the first few minutes through the back and forth dialogue in their space helmets. Some reviews have called this annoying, I don't agree. It seems realistic to me that you would chat it up when floating around in a deadly vacuum, devoid of all life and sound. You need something to grasp on to mentally, something to distract you from the freezing infinite surrounding you.
Towards the end of the film things begin to take a bit of a religious tilt which was distracting and pulled me out of the full immersion I had been in up to that point. In the end, I didn't care. It's only realistic that facing these situations and odds a person would turn towards something, anything, to keep moving forward and fighting for life.
I will admit the movie is heavy handed- the memory of a dead child, the symbolism towards the end of life's start on earth etc, but I would also say that the movie earns the right to be heavy handed. This is a hell of a ride and I find myself taking another deep breath and holding it in anticipation for the next film by Alfonzo Curon. In fact I can’t wait, so I went and saw Gravity a second time.
Of course, that’s just one man’s opinion.

10-04-13

1 comment:

  1. nice dubby... i was just thinking bout seeing this...and so went to my computer, to look at another preview....i thought..."i wonder if dub saw it yet.." then...BAM! a review from the one and only dub...eeeee... off to the movies i go...

    ReplyDelete