Popular Posts

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sexual Harassment: Ugly Guys Getting Their Mack On?


Dublin and DJ Undacut got together on November 10th 2011 and had a discussion. They were joined by Russian Literature major Melissa Gafton. This is a transcript of that discussion.

U: I thought we were going to talk about hip-hop?
D: We did that last time. We can't talk about hip-hop every time.
U: Sure we can. Who's this?
D: This is Melissa Gafton. She's a student at Contra Costa College and is the closest thing we got to an expert for our discussion.
U: Which is about what?
D: Sexual Harassment.
U: So you're studying Sexual Harassment?
M: No, I'm a Literature major.
U: Huh, so why are we talking about this?
D: People are always accusing Dublin's World of perpetually being behind the times. With all the stuff about Herman Cain in the news lately I figured we would talk about something that's getting discussed in our culture currently. Namely, sexual harassment.
U: Didn't Chris Rock break down sexual harassment perfectly when he described it as ugly guys getting their mack on?
D: That doesn't really sound right. I think he worded it differently.
M: That's not really accurate either.
U: How's that?
M: Look at the Herman Cain scandal. Here was a man in power who was trying to coerce women into trading sex for a job or a bump up in position.
D: Is that kind of how the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas thing was?
M: I'm not sure. It's interesting that was almost exactly twenty years ago.
D: Yeah. We were all probably kids then.
U: Clarence Thomas is a douchebag.
D: Herman Cain is not necessarily an unattractive man right?
M: That's missing the point.
U: Clarence Thomas is an ugly bastard.
D: What I don't understand is how long Cain expects he can keep denying all this stuff. It seems like a new woman is popping up every day.
U: What'd he do anyway? I'm not all that clear on what sexual harassment is really.
M: The only case that is out in the public is that this woman asked for help getting a job and when they were in his car Cain put his hand on her crotch and tried to force her hand onto his genitals.
D: Really? They have all those details?
M: The accuser came out in a press conference and told the whole story.
U: Daaaamn. That must have sunk him in the presidential race.
M: Not really. He's still posting high in the polls.
U: I can't really hate on that.
D: What?
U: The whole move he was making. That's how you get your mack on. You make a move.
M: C'mon.
U: I'm not trying to be devil's advocate but she just wasn't feeling him so it's sexual harassment? Why did she wait to come out with it?
M: She was probably embarrassed.
D: It is really embarrassing. For everybody.
U: I don't know. None of us were there. We don't know how it went down.
M: She did press charges. They settled out of court.
U: Let me ask you this? What if he didn't try to put his hands on her or whatever? What if he just said some shit?
D: Right. Can sexual harassment be just words?
M: Well I'm not an expert-
D: Don't say that! You're supposed to be our expert.
M: But I'm not.
U: Great. What is the point of this?
M: I will say this: sexual harassment can just be words.
U: Like what? Where's the line yo?
M: Where ever the victim begins to feel threatened. If a man keeps on making unwanted advances even after a woman has turned him down then that can very well turn into sexual harassment.
U: Great. So if a dude is is just persistent then he's a harasser.
D: Not necessarily.
U: I would still be a virgin at twenty nine if I wasn't persistent!
D: Really?
U: I would have never been born if my Dad wasn't persistent!
M: It's not an easy thing to define.
U: Sure it is. It's just when the woman says it is. Right?
M: Men can be harassed.
U: By women?
M: Sure. If a woman is making unwanted advances then it can become sexual harassment.
D: And man on man.
U: That's all bad.
D: Have either of you been harassed?
M: I've been sexually harassed almost every time I've walked down Mission street. Kidding.
U: Dude, I got to say. I've been harassed and it's no joke.
D: Great, let's hear this.
U: I had a girl but we broke up, feel me? After a little time we tried to be friends and kick it and whatever and it was cool for a minute until we would go out drinking and then she would get all grabby.
D: Grabby?
U: She would just be grabbing on me and trying to kiss me and get all up on me.
D: And you didn't want it? C'mon!
U: I didn't. I wasn't drunk enough.
M: How did it make you feel?
U: Not good. I had to stop even talking to her because she was just too.......
D: Grabby?
U: Yes.
D: So what have we learned?
M: Were we supposed to learn something? I didn't realize that.
U: What are you doing after this Melissa?
M: I have a date.
U: Lucky guy.
D: Is that sexual harassment right there?
M: No, I think that was sweet actually.
D: Well it was nice to have you Melissa. We would love to have you come be our expert in the future.
M: I can do that if you're discussing a subject I know about. Like Dostoevsky or Tolstoy or something.
D: Perfect. We're discussing Dostoevsky next week.
U: Dosty what?

Transcription created by Peggy Menchstone on 11/11/11

No comments:

Post a Comment