Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Conversation on Film between Dublin and Robert Fong: Reservoir Dogs



(Dublin and Robert Fong met up on a furlough day and watched a film together. This time Robert Fong picked the movie)

D: Reservoir Dogs? I’ve seen it.
RF: So have I.
D: Shouldn’t we watch something neither of us has seen?
RF: F**k that. This movie is the sh*t.

(They watch the movie)

RF: So?
D: What?
RF: What did you think?
D: I’ve seen it before. What can I say?
RF: Say what you thought when you saw it?
D: When I first saw it? Or what I thought just now?
RF: How about when you first saw it.
D: Well that was like fifteen years ago so it’s kind of tough. But I know it f**ked me up.
RF: What do you mean f**ked you up?
D: Well, it’s gruesome. I mean the guy is sitting in a thick red pool of blood the whole time. It’s disgusting.
RF: It’s real.
D: What does that mean? It’s real?
RF: That’s how people bleed when they get shot in the stomach.
D: Oh yeah? I didn’t know you ran across people when they’re shot in the stomach. That’s interesting Bob.

D: For some reason Harvey Kietel annoys me.
RF: Watch it buddy. That’s the Bad Lieutenant you’re talking about.
D: Why does he have to get all in the blood with Tim Roth? You know what I mean? I know he feels bad about the guy getting shot but does he have to roll around in the blood like that? It’s gross.
RF: The two guys are bonded. He’s trying to help the guy.
D: By rolling around in the blood? It’s disgusting. Plus what’s with the little whine he does at the end before the cops bust in.
RF: He just got shot. People have a tendency to whine when they get shot.

RF: What’s your favorite part?
D: I don’t know. I kind of like the scene where Tim Roth tells the story about the weed and it changes location six times. I like when he’s saying it to the cops in the bathroom. It kind of breaks the moment from the tough guy bulls**t and becomes surreal for a moment. I’d forgotten about that.
RF: I like the part where Michael Madsen chops the ear off.
D: Of course you do.
RF: It’s horrible. I know that. But it’s funny too. When he chops off the ear he talks into it. That’s f**king hilarious.
D: That’s what’s horrible about it.
RF: Exactly. Its f**king horrible because Michael Madsen is so cool and charming-
D: And a psychopath.
RF: Right.

D: Why did you want to watch this?
RF: I don’t know. It’s been years and it’s one of my favorite movies.
D: Don’t you think it’s kind of weird that there’s no women in it?
RF: Why?
D: I’m just pointing out a fact.
RF: That’s bullsh*t. There are women in it!
D: When?
RF: The chick that shot Tim Roth. She was a woman!
D: C’mon. She was in it for three seconds tops.
RF: I’m just pointing out that your f**king fact is in fact false.
D: Fine.

RF: I give that movie two thumbs up. It’s a f**king masterpiece!
D: Well you’re going to have to explain that one. You can’t just go around calling things masterpieces.
RF: Why are you so against it? This movie changed film.
D: How’s that?
RF: You don’t know s**t. This movie broke open a whole independent movement in the nineties. This was huge.
D: Maybe so. But does that make it a masterpiece?
RF: Look what you said. You said it f**ked you up.
D: Right.
RF: That’s the sign of a good film.
D: Is it?
RF: Yes! Tarintino knew what he was doing. He was taking the audience for a ride. He knew he was f**king them up.
D: Maybe so. I don’t know.
RF: Yes!
D: Well how do you feel after the movie is over?
RF: Like I just went on a crazy a** ride.
D: Anything else?
RF: What the f**k do you feel?
D: Nothing really. That’s the problem. Shouldn’t we leave a movie and take something from it?
RF: What the f**k is your problem? Did you like it the second time?
D: Sure.
RF: Were you entertained?
D: Yes. It was entertaining.
RF: Bam! Here’s a movie that you’ve seen before and you’re still entertained. That’s the sign of a great movie.
D: Hmm…

(November 2010. El Cerrito CA)

No comments:

Post a Comment