Popular Posts

Monday, August 23, 2010

"You F**K My Wife?"


You F**k my Wife?
D.W.F.R. with Robert Hong
(Raging Bull)








What the f**k is D.W.F.R.?? Well, it stands for Dublin’s World Film Review. I know. Really f**king stupid.
OK, enough with the introductions. I’m Bob Hong and I have been asked by Dublin to submit a film review about any film I wish. He asked that it be current but I haven’t seen any “current” movies and could really give two s**ts about them either. So my review, or essay, or whatever the f**k you want to call it is about the nineteen eighty film “Raging Bull” by Martin Scorsese.
“Goodfellas” is great, blah blah blah. “Taxi Driver” this, “Taxi Driver” that, you talking to me?” blah blah blah. “The Departed”? Please b**ch. I’ve got news for you pu**y’s out there: “Raging Bull” is the greatest Martin Scorsese ever made. S**t. It’s the best Bobby D. and Joey Pesky movie ever made too.

Let’s get into it: the editing. Really sit down and watch how this masterpiece was cut. The little details with the slow motion and the close ups? Holy s**t. They all work to project Jake LaMotta’s paranoia to the breaking point. The little things! Frank Vincent drives away and throws a cigarette out of the car in slow motion and Jake watches him, sure that the man is f**king his wife. Everybody seems to be f**king Jake’s wife. In his head at least.

The black and white. Has a film ever been filmed so gorgeously? In my opinion black and white kicks the s**t out of color every time and this film is exhibit A. It was made in 1980 but I swear to God I feel like I’m watching people in 1945 interacting and saying things like “Your gonna over cook it!” or “Go f**k your Mother!”. It makes the little hairs on the back of my head shoot up.

The sound. Holy f**k it is brilliant. When two guys are in the ring duking it out you don’t just hear the punching and a bulls**t soundtrack that tells you how to feel. You hear glass smashing! You hear tympani bashing! You hear the sounds of elephants charging and a lion growling! This is movie sound at its best and most f**king amazing.

S**t, people say that Marty peaked a while back and is just making crap from here on out. Two things I would say: 1) "The Aviator" really wasn’t that bad, in fact it was pretty good, and 2) if this man had never made another film besides “Raging Bull” he would still be high up on the pedestal that he sits, maybe even higher since then he wouldn’t have made “Shutter Island” and I wouldn’t have wasted two hours. Hey Dublin! Is that current enough for you?!!!!

Robert Hong is a film student at the Academy for the Arts and is currently running the film projector at the Red Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment